Meaningful Play 2012 takes place on the campus of Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan.
Most conference activities are located in the MSU Union. The MSU Union is centrally located between the MSU campus and downtown East Lansing.
The MSU Union is a vibrant, multifaceted building containing shopping, dining, entertainment, as well as the conference facilities.
The official conference hotels are:
- East Lansing Marriott at University Place - located in the heart of downtown East Lansing, just one block from the MSU Union. The East Lansing Marriott features 180 well-appointed guest rooms, a concierge level, an indoor pool and exercise facility, meeting space suitable for any function, and dining in Bistro 43. The special conference rate is $124/night for single or double occupancy.
- Quality Inn University - located about 1.4 mile from the MSU Union. The Quality Inn University offers a free full hot breakfast and features an indoor pool and game room. The special conference rate is $99/night for occupancy of up to 4 persons. While it is definitely walkable from the hotel to the Union, the hotel does provides a complimentary van service.
Hotels, in order of closeness to the MSU Union, are:
- East Lansing Marriott at University Place (1 city block)
- Wild Goose Inn B&B (~2 city blocks)
- MSU Kellogg Hotel & Conference Center (~1/4 mile)
- Gatehouse Suites (~1 mile)
- University Quality Inn (~1.4 mile)
- TownePlace Suite by Marriott (~2 miles)
- Candlewood Suites (~2.5 miles)
- Marriott Courtyard (~3 miles)
- Hampton Inn East Lansing (~3 miles)
However, there are several other lodging options located in the area.
Lansing Capital City Airport (LAN) is the closest airport with connections through Detroit, Chicago, Cincinatti, Minneapolis, and Atlanta. However, there are a number of airports that you can fly into to reach the East Lansing area, including:
- Lansing Capital City Airport (LAN) in Lansing, MI - 6 miles/20 minute drive to MSU Union (directions)
- Detroit Metro International Airport (DTW) in Detroit, MI - 88.4 miles/1 hour 24 minute drive to MSU Union (directions). The Michigan Flyer provides bus service between the Detroit Metro International Airport and East Lansing. It drops off and picks up directly at the East Lansing Marriott.
- Bishop International Airport (FNT) in Flint, MI - 44.6 miles/48 minute drive to MSU Union (directions)
- Gerald R Ford International Airport (GRR) in Grand Rapids, MI - 65 miles/1 hour 8 minute drive to MSU Union (directions)
The Marriott and Quality Inn University has public and guest parking. There are several parking ramps and ground parking lots in downtown East Lansing near the MSU Union. The cost is $15/day max ($0.60 or $0.65 per 1/2 hour). On campus parking is available but public parking on campus is metered and therefore not the best option for parking all day.
Michigan State University
Michigan State University founded in 1855 as the pioneer Land grant institution is internationally known as a major public university in the United States, with a global reach. With over 45,000 students and 10,000 faculty and staff, we have advanced knowledge and transformed lives through innovative research, academics, and outreach for over 150 years. MSU is a member of the Association of American Universities, the National Association of State Universities and land-grant Colleges, and the Big Ten athletic Conference. Michigan State University is committed to intellectual leadership and excellence in both developing new knowledge and conveying that knowledge to its students and to the local, national and global community.
East Lansing Area
East Lansing is a warm campus town nestled just east of Lansing, the capital of Michigan. East Lansing is the home of Michigan State University. The East Lansing downtown area caters to the university community with unique shops, bars and restaurants, and speciality stores.
From the Michigan Capital in downtown Lansing, to the art galleries of Old Town, to the vibrant campus community in East Lansing, the Greater Lansing area offers a wide variety of entertainment, arts, culture, shopping, and dining experiences. More information is available from the Greater Lansing Convention & Visitors Bureau.
Michigan is known for its expansive sandy beaches (surrounded by the Great Lakes, it has the most freshwater coast line of all the 50 states), lush countryside, midwest hospitality, great universities, and of course, the U.S. auto industry. October is a perfect time to visit Michigan as the temperature usually remains moderate while the trees begin to take on their beautiful fall colors.
Drive to Conference
Map & Directions